The Peirce's Trees collection was originally developed by the Peirce family, the original landowners of the property where Longwood Gardens now exists. The collection consists of 276 accessions comprising 50 taxa of woody plants planted from 1798 to 1880 and is composed primarily of U.S. native and introduced species that were available during that time period. Some of the individual accessions are Pennsylvania state champion trees, and others represent fully mature or exceptional specimens for their taxon. One specimen from the original plantings has been named as a cultivar,Magnolia acuminata ssp. subcordata ‘Peirce’s Park’, in recognition of the superior traits and history of this specimen. The collection also includes historically and botanically appropriate replacement trees planted after 1906.