Ambler Arboretum of Temple University
580 Meetinghouse Road, Ambler, Pennsylvania, 19002
Print Job Details
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
The Nursery Manager reports to the Director of the Ambler Arboretum of Temple University and is responsible for management and oversight of the production and quasi-retail nursery on the Temple Ambler Campus, which supports the academic, conservation/restoration, and educational/outreach missions of the Ambler Arboretum and the Campus. The Nursery Manager will coordinate the nursery operation, including budget and revenue targets; retail sales including cash handling; and staffing, including student workers and interns. The Nursery Manager will source, propagate, and maintain plant material for retail sale, for the Arboretum’s needs, and for instructional-purposes in related academic and non-credit courses. They will manage propagation and growing areas; maintain tools, supplies, and equipment; and coordinate inspections, as necessary. The Nursery Manager will work with the Director to develop nursery procedures and practices, and will adhere to the University’s policies and business procedures.
The Nursery Manager may provide educational/outreach programs to the community, and contribute to the academic mission of the University by teaching and/or supervising students in internships, research or field experiences, and/or student jobs. The Nursery Manager will work collaboratively with the faculty in the various schools and colleges; with Arboretum, Campus, and Greenhouse staff; and the University’s Facilities Management staff to serve the University’s missions.
Are you a horticulturist with an entrepreneurial spirit? Would you like the benefits of working for a large university while running a small business? Consider applying to become the Nursery Manager for the Collins Nursery at the Ambler Arboretum of Temple University.
The Ambler Arboretum of Temple University is excited to announce that we are starting a public-facing nursery and we are looking for a nursery manager.
While the nursery manager will be growing the horticulture side of the business from the ground up we have customer contacts and historical data as well as training and mentoring available to the new Nursery Manager. If you are an experienced Nursery Manager there may even be the opportunity to share your knowledge with undergraduate students.
The primary goal of the nursery is as a hands-on support facility for various undergraduate and graduate courses. Secondarily this nursery will offer plants for sale to the public as a revenue generating entity.
Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Functions of Position:
- Management of production and retail nursery on the Ambler Campus.
- Source, propagate, and maintain plant material for retail sale, for the Arboretum’s needs, and for instruction-purposes in related academic and non-credit courses
- Adherence to University’s policies and procedures for business operations, including cash handling.
- Work with Director to set annual net income targets through retail sales, educational programming, and other fundraising.
- Schedule, train and supervise student interns, student workers, and volunteers in the nursery.
- Manage all required inspections and certifications with relevant public agencies.
- Manage cultural needs and plant pests in growing areas using accepted Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices and follow all recordkeeping requirements.
- Maintain professional certifications and university clearances as required for the position.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow EPA Worker Protection Standards (WPS) for staff applications of pesticides in growing areas.
- Follow Temple University’s EHRS guidelines for chemical and lab safety.
- Follow Temple University’s guidelines for cash handling.
- Participate in campus & University activities through meetings, committees, events, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree with training in Horticulture or related field is preferred.
- 2+ years of experience growing a diverse collection of plants, a focus on natives preferred but not essential.
- An equivalent combination of education and related experience may be considered.
- Possess a valid PA Driver’s License and pass the University’s Driver’s Background Check
- Obtain and maintain a current Category 6 PA Pesticide Professional Applicator’s Certification.
- Have demonstrated experience related to sustainable practices, IPM, and the use of native plant species.
- Obtain and maintain Cash Handling Clearances.
- This individual may work with minors and must pass all required background checks and clearances.
- Experience managing a retail or production nursey is a plus.
- Experience training, hiring, supervising, & evaluating employees is a plus.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Must have the ability to:
- interpret and apply university policies, procedures, rules and regulations
- work independently under general supervision
- set and achieve goals
- work as part of the Arboretum team to set and achieve goals
- work collaboratively with faculty and staff from the Campus, Arboretum, Field Station, the Schools/Colleges, and University departments.
- coordinate clerical, record-keeping, inventory, requisitioning, and marketing activities.
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- work in a multi-cultural environment
- establish and maintain effective working relationships
- ability to work a flexible schedule during the retail season, such as evenings and weekends.
- Routine use of utility vehicles, skid steer, gasoline-powered trimmers and blowers, wheelbarrows, and a variety of gardening tools.
- Occasional use power tools, including chainsaws, lawn mowers, or weedwhackers within the nursery area.
- Work is primarily outdoors and subject to outside environmental conditions.
- Work involves use of equipment and may be subject to loud noises.
- Physical Requirements:
- Performing physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling and moving of materials and equipment.
- Must be able to lift at least 35 lbs.