Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
We are currently seeking a dedicated and passionate individual to join our team as a Horticulturist at the UCLA Mathias Botanical Garden. As a Horticulturist, you will have the opportunity to work with an amazing array of plant species within our 7.5-acre garden. This position offers a unique chance to work in a diverse horticultural setting, enhancing your previous training or experience in the field.
If you have a genuine love for plants and are seeking an incredible opportunity to work with unique and diverse species while contributing to the teaching and research of the nation’s top public university, we encourage you to apply for the position of Horticulturist at the UCLA Mathias Botanical Garden. Your dedication and hard work will help maintain the beauty and importance of our 7.5-acre garden for UCLA staff, students, and visitors to enjoy. This is a full-time non-exempt position.
Our mission: The UCLA Mathias Botanical Garden seeks to promote botanical knowledge and appreciation of nature to the UCLA community and public at large. Its diverse plant collections are designed to assist the teaching and research missions at UCLA while creating a tranquil environment within the urban surroundings. The Garden acts as a community gathering place for a wide variety of groups and through its own events promotes plant conservation, botanical research and horticulture.
Duties & Responsibilities
● Collaborate with the Assistant Director and Garden manager to receive weekly instructions and guidance.
● Work outdoors in the beautiful garden setting, contributing to the cohesive and enthusiastic team atmosphere.
● Engage with a variety of plant enthusiasts and visitors, providing directions, plant identifications, and maintaining a friendly and welcoming environment.
● Prepare the garden for visitors each day, including tasks such as raking paths, removing debris, and opening gates.
● Work alongside volunteers, providing guidance, instruction, and assistance in various horticultural tasks.
● Participate in regular meetings, horticultural instructions, and collaborative work sessions with the Horticulture team.
● Contribute to the maintenance of the garden by weeding, mulching, planting, pruning, thinning, and detailing various care of assigned Garden zones.
● Utilize a range of power tools and equipment, such as chainsaws, pruners, line trimmers, tractors, electric carts, and hand tools.
● Participate in all-hands projects on Wednesday mornings with fellow staff members on specific projects as well as assist Garden Manager and Assistant Director with other Garden projects or tasks when needed (such as events, etc.).
● Use and update the Garden database.
● Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions, including rain or shine, and tolerate heat or cold temperatures.
● Strong attention to detail and a proactive approach to tasks.
● Physical stamina and ability to perform manual labor, including lifting heavy objects up to 40lbs., bending, and kneeling.
● Willingness to perform non-gardening duties, such as picking up trash.
● Friendly and approachable demeanor, serving as a goodwill ambassador for the garden and providing exceptional customer service.
Education and Experience
● A genuine passion for plants, horticulture, and a thirst for learning more.
● Certificate/Degree in Horticulture and Gardening and/or the equivalent in professional horticultural experience.
● Possess a valid driver’s license
● Ability to perform physical work including working with garden tools on a regular basis
● Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
● Ability to perform physical work including walking and working with garden tools on a regular basis.
● The work schedule for Garden staff employees is from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
● The UCLA Botanical Garden is open every day including weekends and most holidays. We are closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
● Availability to work a 5-day work week that includes every Saturday and Sunday and most holidays.
The UCLA Mathias Botanical Garden Diversity Statement
Diversity in our community is critical for us to fulfill our social justice mission. Diversity enriches the educational and work experiences of our community members. Ed&IS strives to increase the racial and ethnic diversity in our students, faculty and staff members, which is critical to our success.
go to Req number 40063Application Deadline:
December 27, 2023