Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
To design, beautify and maintain garden areas as assigned by working directly with the garden crew in various hands-on activities.
Nestled among fields of corn and soybeans, Moore Farms Botanical Garden is comprised of 65 acres set in the rural Pee Dee region near Lake City, South Carolina. Embracing its southern pastoral setting through an informal, expressive design scheme, the garden is a careful blend of exuberant plant displays, bounding meadows and enduring vistas of grey-green pines. The resulting union of art and scholarship is a dazzling example of the modern botanical garden.
Moore Farms is in an exciting period of growth and expansion, with ample opportunities to put your hard work and creativity on display. We offer competitive salaries in horticulture, and support our Horticulturists with certifications, licensure, and educational opportunities.
Please visit our website at www.moorefarmsbg.org to learn more.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Perform general gardening duties such as pruning, planting, weeding, mulching and removing debris
• Monitor and inspect plants for health deficiencies and problems, ascertain proper corrective measures and apply appropriate pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers
• Participate in the research and selection of new plant material, installing accession tags, inventorying beds, and detailing observations and care of plants in the plant accession database
• Supervise and work with gardeners on a daily basis, with occasional training in proper horticultural techniques
• Contribute to weekly garden task scheduling and planning
• Assist with the development and design of new and existing garden areas
• With managerial approval, source, procure and purchase plants, supplies and materials such as trees, shrubs, seeds, mulch, soil and garden tools and equipment
• Lead tours, provide demonstrations and answer questions from garden guests and staff on horticultural topics
• Teach and lead classes and workshops on various horticulture related topics to the general public
• Work with contractors, consultants, and temporary employees as well as aid in the supervision and training of interns
• Operate garden equipment such as chainsaws, blowers, mowers and tillers, with the possibility of training on backhoes, tractors, trucks, forklifts, and other heavy machinery.
• Occasional travel when required
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Candidates must have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture or related field, or an equivalent
combination of training, skills and experience. Preferred candidates will have the following qualifications:
• Working knowledge of common landscape plants of the Southeastern United States
• Understanding of garden design concepts
• Strong work ethic supported by commitment and follow-through.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must possess a valid South Carolina Driver’s license (or be able to obtain one within 30 days)
• Must be willing to obtain a South Carolina Pesticide Applicator’s license
• Can be available for occasional overnight travel.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Willingness and ability to perform physical work outside in diverse weather conditions
• Ability to carry, climb, push, stoop, reach, dig and to load/unload various objects
• Ability to operate various power tools and heavy equipment
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary starting at 40,000+ commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid time off, paid holidays, 401(k) matching, health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Daniel Livingston with “Horticulturist Job Opportunity” in the subject line at firstname.lastname@example.orgApplication Deadline:
December 12, 2023