Horticulture Section Coordinator
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
The Horticulture Section Coordinator serves as a member of the specialized horticulture team and reports to Director of Horticulture and Facilities. The overall purpose of this position is to create and maintain Ladew’s Gardens and Facilities providing visitors an opportunity to create memories and have a connection with nature experience. The Horticulture Section Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day task management of the seasonal garden staff in an assigned section to maintain high standards of gardens and special horticulture areas. Ladew is known as one of the top gardens in the country and is recognized for excellence in horticultural display; maintaining and advancing this public standing in the industry is integral to this position.
Located in beautiful Harford County, MD, Ladew Topiary Gardens (https://ladewgardens.com) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is “to maintain and promote the gardens, house and facilities in keeping with the creative spirit of Harvey S. Ladew for the public benefit and for educational, scientific and cultural pursuits.” Ladew’s grounds cover 250 acres, including formal gardens and an educational trail system through natural habitats including forest, meadows and wetlands.
We are seeking a full-time Horticulture Section Coordinator to join the horticulture team in caring and maintaining Ladew’s gardens and grounds.
Actual salary range commensurate with education and experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working interactively with garden staff members, volunteers and visitors in a welcoming and customer service oriented manner, the Horticulture Section Coordinator responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Oversees garden maintenance in assigned section of gardens: creates task lists, coordinates and oversees seasonal staff in completing tasks, and recommends and oversees larger projects with full horticulture staff/volunteers.
– Engages seasonal staff, interns and volunteers to meet departmental and organizational goals with the explicit intent of preserving Harvey Ladew’s overall design intent, interpretation and vision of his gardens.
– Participates in the development, review and implementation of Garden procedures to ensure the gardens and grounds are consistently maintained at the highest possible standards and that horticulture staff are providing excellent customer service
– Maintains design intent of themed Garden areas, provides ongoing oversight of plant care and maintenance and oversees plant acquisition for the horticultural collections
– Participates in the design of seasonal displays and bedding change-outs; coordinates with staff the procurement and installation of plants
– Ensures that best horticultural practices are applied in Garden maintenance; provides staff, intern and volunteer training regularly as required
– Supports all efforts to enhance the visitor experience by planning and implementing new strategies and programs to engage guests in horticulture
– Participates in the oversight of the proper operation and maintenance of the entire mechanical fleet including passenger vehicles and trucks, tractors, golf carts and utility vehicles and all small equipment
– Lead garden tours and the “in the Garden” series when required
– Participate in snow and ice removal
– Assist with preparation and setup/cleanup of special events
– Supports peers and staff in achieving overall institutional goals
Education and Experience
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
– Bachelor’s degree in horticulture or related field preferred or equivalent relevant work experience
– 3-5 years of experience in public garden maintenance
– Demonstrated garden design experience preferred
– Competencies: Horticultural best practices; Organization and planning skills in the area of horticulture; Communication & Relationship Management; Exemplary Customer service; Ethical Conduct; Technical Capacity to operate basic computer software
– Minimum age of 18 years
– Ability to lift 50lbs and perform daily tasks of a physical nature (often demanding), requiring standing, sitting, pushing, pulling, and other manual tasks to accomplish the duties
– Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions (heat, humidity, rain, cold)
– Occasional weekend, evening and holiday work may be required
Ladew Topiary Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek enthusiastic, friendly, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our team and enhance our visitor experience.
Please apply through the listing on Indeed.com: https://www.indeed.com/job/horticulture-section-coordinator-8afb989e68dcc0ff?