Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Marketing & Communications
Tohono Chul seeks a creative team player and visual problem solver with a passion for creativity and design in a fast-paced environment. The graphic designer will be responsible for ensuring consistency in style guides and templates to ensure the integrity of Tohono Chul’s brand. This position includes both maintaining and updating current design work and conceptualization, design, creation, and production of internal and external marketing and promotional materials for Tohono Chul and its diverse programs. This position reports to the Marketing and Communications Manager. This position is an on-site role and requires the ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays for special events
Tohono Chul is a 49-acre public garden in Tucson, Arizona whose mission is to enrich people’s lives by connecting them with the wonders of nature, art, and culture in the Sonoran Desert region and to inspire wise stewardship of the natural world. Founded in 1985, Tohono Chul has been a celebrated destination for locals to global visitors and is deemed “One of the World’s Ten Best Botanical Gardens” by Travel + Leisure Magazine.
The mission of Tohono Chul Park is to enrich people’s lives by connecting them with the wonders of nature, art and culture in the Sonoran Desert region and inspiring wise stewardship of the natural world.
• Love of the Sonoran Desert region: its natural history and its cultural heritage.
• Love of Tohono Chul and respect for what the Park means to visitors, supporters, and staff.
• Responsible use of all-natural, human, fiscal, and temporal resources.
• Respect for all people, their beliefs, and cultures.
• Excellence and integrity in all undertakings of the park.
• Dedication to lifelong learning, with a special focus on living in harmony with the Sonoran Desert and the respectful interactions of people with their environment.
• Accessibility and outreach to the community in experiencing the resources of Tohono Chul.
Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain brand consistency across all mediums
• Create eye-catching graphics and engaging designs
• Design, layout and produce posters, print and digital advertising, brochures, newsletters, invitations, signage and other collateral and distribute as needed.
• Update, edit and reprint existing promotional materials as needed
• Support content management for the website
• Edit and manage photography and design resources
• Work with various printers, agencies, and vendors on marketing and program collateral
• Support the Marketing and Communications Manager in supervising volunteers and interns as needed
• Ability to work occasional weekends, evenings, nights, and holidays for special events
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Time management skills: Prioritize, multi-task, and meet tight deadlines
• Excellent communication abilities, written and oral
• Attention to detail to ensure work is accurate and error-free
• Strong conceptual and creative skills
• Able to work well in a collaborative team environment
• Able to accept guidance from leadership on project concepts and details
• Technological problem-solving
• Photography and videography experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Web Design or related field (or equivalent education and experience)
• Four or more years of related design experience
• Possess a professional graphic design portfolio
• Knowledge of current design trends and practices for print and digital applications
• Proficient in working with Mac and knowledge of PC programs and environments
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Microsoft Office Suite
• Knowledge of website development using WordPress platform (HTML and CSS a plus) and good understanding of social media space
• Experience with direct mailers, large format printing, and digital and screen printing
• Must be energetic, confident, motivated and meet all physical requirements of the position
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extensive visual contact with computer monitors and extended sitting. The ability to see details at close range and to match and detect differences between colors, including shades of color and brightness. The employee frequently is required to walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch; and talk or hear. The ability to make precise coordinated movements of fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, anything greater should be done with assistance.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extensive visual contact with computer monitors and extended sitting. Employee work might take them outdoors in both warm and cool weather.
Submit a resume, a letter of interest, portfolio of work in a PDF less than 9MB in size or share a link to a website and 3 references to email@example.com for applications to be considered