Employment TypeJob (Part-time)
Under the supervision of the Visitor Experience Manager, the Gardens Guide ensures visitors have a positive garden experience by providing excellent customer service for visitors attending special events such as Blossoms of Light event through prompt, pleasant and courteous service. Responsibilities include friendly greeting and orientation, answering frequently asked questions, line directing, direction wayfinding, location safekeeping, problem solving, promoting events, membership, programs, and resources, ensuring guidelines and policies are adhered to, and always maintaining excellent service standards. The incumbent will work outside in all weather during evening hours, weekends, and holidays.
About Denver Botanic Gardens: Green inside and out, Denver Botanic Gardens was founded in 1951 and is considered one of the top botanical gardens in the United States and a pioneer in water conservation. Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, The Gardens has a robust living plant collection, natural history collection and art collection along with temporary art exhibitions. The Gardens is a dynamic, 24-acre urban oasis in the heart of the city, offering unforgettable opportunities to flourish with unique garden experiences for the whole family – as well as world-class exhibitions, education, and plant conservation research programs.
For more information, visit us online at www.botanicgardens.org.
Denver Botanic Gardens is currently seeking a Seasonal Gardens Guide in our Membership & Visitor Services Department! Read below to see if the requirements might be a good fit for you:
Duties & Responsibilities
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides outstanding customer service to all visitors, staff, and volunteers.
- Handles visitor complaints and provide appropriate solutions. Direct complaints to management as needed.
- Provides assistance with questions related to the Gardens and/or Denver Metro area; knows the answers to frequently asked questions.
- Ensures all visitors remain on designated pathways.
- Greets visitors, directs them to designations and along pathways and manages lines.
- Maintains ongoing and consistent knowledge of Blossoms of Light event to respond to visitor inquiries appropriately and accurately.
- Enforces policies and handles difficult situations while remaining poised, respectful, and diplomatic.
- Follows Denver Botanic Gardens procedures to respond to and report suspicious activity and accidents, injuries, lost families, and other hazardous situations.
- Follows established communication and radio procedures, guidelines, and policies.
- Acts as a positive role model.
- Assists with event entry and exit.
- Assists Visitor Experience staff, Visitor Services staff, Event Staff and Security staff to ensure a positive and safe event.
- Regular attendance at the worksite may be required. As with all positions at Denver Botanic Gardens, the incumbent must be in good performance standing to be eligible for remote work. Remote work is at the discretion of management at all times.
- All Gardens employees must be committed to the mission of connecting people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world, providing delight and enlightenment to everyone.
Position Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understands Denver Botanic Gardens safety policies and procedures and perform tasks as required including, but not limited to evacuations and other emergency situations.
- Ability to be on feet for long periods of time.
- Champion and promote the Garden’s vision, mission, and brand while working in the Gardens.
- Proactively assess visitor’s needs to ensure highest quality of customer service is met.
- Proactively seeks to be knowledgeable about all DBG horticulture, exhibits, programs and events to reflect the experience and brand at the Gardens.
- Must have proven excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills in dealing with the public.
- Ability to maintain stability under pressure and able to deal well with stressful situations.
- Ability to be flexible and willing to modify plans, when necessary, throughout the day.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and/or holidays.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite products, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to work overtime as necessary.
- Must be a positive representative of the Gardens both internally and externally at all times.
- Must work with respect and cooperation at all times with fellow employees and the public.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times.
Education and Experience
High school diploma / GED and/or combination of education and equivalent experience is required.
Minimum of 1 years of experience in customer service experience working in a museum/cultural environment or similar type organization preferred.
$18.75 Per Hour
Come work for a place that offers you SO much more than just a paycheck!