Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Position Title: Gardener II
Supervisor: Director of Gardens and Grounds
Grade: 50, Non-exempt, union
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week, 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM, Monday – Friday
This position fills a critical role within a dedicated team of garden professionals working together to fulfill the mission of stewardship and preservation of Beatrix Farrand’s masterpiece, a century after its creation. This position reports to the director of gardens and grounds and is under the guidance and general direction of the crew leader for a given section of gardens and grounds.
• Participates actively in the daily care and maintenance of the gardens and grounds.
• Works independently or as part of a team, under the oversight of a crew leader.
• This is a critical position, which may require the employee to work during emergencies and/or outside of normal work hours.
Dumbarton Oaks is a Harvard University research institute, library, museum, and garden located in Washington, DC. The institution is the legacy of Robert and Mildred Bliss, collectors of art and patrons of learning in the humanities. The museum houses world-class collections of Byzantine and Pre-Columbian art, two areas of interest to the Blisses. A third revolves around the historic garden, which Mildred Bliss created in close collaboration with renowned landscape designer Beatrix Farrand. Since 1940, when the Blisses gifted the estate and collections to Harvard University, Dumbarton Oaks has supported research in Byzantine Studies. Later it embraced Pre-Columbian and Garden and Landscape Studies. The support takes the form of fellowships and other awards, scholarly conferences, publications, and digital initiatives. In recent years, Dumbarton Oaks has also developed educational programs focusing on its collections and garden.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Performs general plant care, garden maintenance, and essential garden duties, relying on knowledge of horticulture and plant care techniques: weeding, planting, pruning, mowing, blowing, edging, aerating, fertilizer application, cleaning and care of pools and fountains, sculpture, and furniture.
• Operates machinery and equipment used in the performance of gardening duties.
• Prepares the gardens for daily public visiting hours, including removal of snow and ice, leaves, and other debris from walkways and steps.
• Performs daily swimming pool maintenance including poolside cleaning, filter maintenance, water chemistry balance, and other duties associated with pool operation, under the supervision of the Certified Pool Operator (CPO)
• May answer questions for garden visitors.
• May assist with special projects as needed, perform related duties as required, and attend staff meetings.
• Ability to work outside in various weather conditions; endurance to walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, and climb; strength to push, pull, and lift up to 50 lbs.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Basic: 2-3 years of professional gardening experience, or training in horticulture or a related field, required.
• Ability to obtain a Certified Pool Operator’s license and perform duties of a CPO.
• Ability to obtain a DC Pesticide Applicators License.
• Conversational English-speaking skills and intermediate English reading/writing level.
• Conversational proficiency in Spanish preferred
• Ability to work outside in various weather conditions, often on uneven terrain
• Endurance to walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, and climb
• Strength to push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below.