Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Nestled in a neighborhood near the heart of San Antonio, Texas, is a private 20-acre estate with a growing horticultural footprint in the city. This historic house and grounds features over 200 mature live oaks, a formal lawn and traditional topiary garden, contemporary perennial gardens, and a year-round kitchen garden amongst its hedges and turf. This position will work with the garden team to maintain and further develop the gardens and landscape. Candidates should be interested in learning best horticultural practices and techniques, and have an eye for detail. This position reports to the Garden Supervisors.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Daily care of assigned gardens including pruning, weeding, mulching, watering, grooming/deadheading, mowing, edging, trimming, and debris clean up.
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of irrigation systems
- Help plant, transplant, maintain the collection of annuals, perennials, turf, shrubs, and tree materials.
- Operate equipment including mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, skid-steer, carts.
- This position will work in all areas of the Estate with other gardeners and seasonal staff as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum one year of experience working in a public or private garden, or in landscape maintenance.
- Experience in operating and maintaining irrigation systems or the ability and willingness to learn
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture with an emphasis in ornamental horticulture or related field. (preferred)
- Knowledge of perennial gardening, vegetable gardening, turf management and irrigation systems (preferred).
- Positive attitude and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Passion for gardening, plant health and quality maintenance.
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- Ability to work outside, year-round, productively in South Texas weather.
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week (Generally M-F 7:30am – 4:00pm)
Compensation and benefits: commensurate with experience
If this position interests you and you feel that you meet the qualifications, we encourage you to apply. We are eager to hear from you! Please send your resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com