Director of Marketing & Communications
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Marketing & Communications
The Director of Marketing & Communications will oversee the vision, strategy, and workflow of marketing/communications to achieve measurable growth in regional awareness, revenue, and visitor attendance. The Director of Marketing & Communications will also help deliver the 95-year-old brand to existing and new audiences; work across the organization to promote the experiences, programs and research offered; and align with key community and regional partners that help us to drive our brand and mission forward.
Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest, a 16,000+ acre protected forest in Kentucky, about 25 miles south of Louisville, is seeking a transformative brand marketing and communications professional to expand Bernheim’s regional presence, elevate the brand, as well as assist in driving growth of the organization.
Bernheim is home to a 600-acre arboretum, designated as Kentucky’s official arboretum. The natural landscape features 40+ miles of hiking trails and extensive natural areas managed for conservation and research purposes. Its woodlands, prairies, and wetlands make up the largest privately-owned forest in the Eastern United States dedicated to education and conservation. Bernheim is a privately owned not-for-profit, relying on donations and memberships, whose mission is to connect people with nature. Annually, over 350,000 people experience Bernheim through visits, educational programs, field trips, and Bernheim festivals.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Own organizational brand, communications, marketing strategies and is accountable for achieving awareness and conversion/engagement KPIs.
• Oversee the brand planning process inclusive of identifying target audiences and the development of the marketing mix and strategies for audience/brand-interaction.
• Develop and implement marketing strategies and plans that will grow the brand and keep Bernheim aspirational, relevant, and part of cultural conversations happening regionally.
• Spearhead the development and refinement of the brand’s messages, content, and creative designs to attract and connect with identified audience segments.
• Collaborate with the senior team to create long-term brand experiences, events, and content that helps achieve our mission of connecting people with nature.
• Manage and maintain data regarding visitor insights and segmentation, competitive intelligence, industry trends, and developments.
• Create a network of local/regional partners and influencers with the goal of driving buzz and building brand awareness through collaborations and social-first experiences.
• Maintain a consistent pulse on nature, science, and human landscapes – an understanding of what is new, now, next, critical – and how can we leverage these insights and partners to elevate our brand positioning.
• Develop, deploy, and enhance strategies across Bernheim’s website, digital and social media, email campaigns, SEO/SEM etc.
• Serve as an important partner, advisor, and influencer to all facets of the organization and drive cross-functional collaboration.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Proven ability to think strategically and execute results in a fast-changing organizational environment.
• Ability to be curious, creative, and flexible and can develop new ideas and novel approaches to traditional practices.
• Passion for accelerating team efficiency by improving processes and workflows cross-functionally.
• Strategic and growth mindset with exceptional project management, organizational, verbal communication and writing skills.
• Personal commitment and desire to advance Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Acceleration (IDEA) efforts.
• Capacity to multi-task, while using good judgment in prioritizing responsibilities.
• Outgoing, personable, and possesses strong relationship management and interpersonal skills.
• Must be comfortable working in an environment with a mix of direct authority and accountability as well as areas of indirect authority and shared accountability.
Education and Experience
Education & Experience
• 10+ years of senior-level experience leading marketing and communications activities in comparable business-to-consumer and/or business-to-business organizations.
• Demonstrated experience leading an integrated marketing team.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Demonstrated experience driving growth in awareness, market share, revenue, and other resources preferably from individuals, businesses, and foundations.
• Proven record of envisioning, creating, executing, and evaluating successful marketing, communications, and sales activities including advocating for internal support and resources; building and leading cross-functional teams; and collaborating with broad audiences with wide-ranging needs and expectations.
• Work requires some physical activity: walking over all types of terrain, in various weather conditions; carrying or transporting light equipment.
• Position requires some weekend, evening, or early morning hours.
Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Please send all inquiries and resumes to: HR@bernheim.org.
This full-time, salaried position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Salary Range: $65,000 – $70,000 annually.
Competitive benefits package includes health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403(b) match benefit and paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave.
January 1, 2024