Director of Development
Employment TypeJob (Full-time)
Development & Membership
The Director of Development leads a comprehensive fundraising program, securing charitable gifts and grant support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other sources to support the Botanical Garden’s annual fund, planned giving, endowment, capital needs, and financial sustainability. This leader will collaborate with the President & CEO, Board members, volunteer leaders, and Garden staff to implement the fund development plan and grow philanthropic support for the organization. A successful candidate must be a strong and inspiring leader with proven success in fundraising, strong relationship building skills, and an enthusiastic and collaborative approach. Success will be measured by the team’s ability to expand the Garden’s donor pool and charitable giving results while retaining and deepening the impact of the donors.
The Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden is a 501(c)(3) privately governed, not-for-profit public garden situated on 14 acres in the heart of downtown Des Moines. At the Botanical Garden, our mission is exploring, explaining, and celebrating the world of plants. Beyond the beauty and inspiration of our urban setting, we are dedicated to creating signature, memorable experiences through progressive garden design and innovative programming. People, plants, and passion are the focus of what we do. By educating and enriching the lives of our guests, we provide a valuable resource for our community and forge partnerships stronger than the sum of our individual parts.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead development team to ensure optimal impact of the fund development department. Guide, mentor, and supervise Annual Fund Manager, Membership and Database Manager, and Database Specialist.
• Annually develop and implement a comprehensive development plan with targeted goals, strategies, outcomes, and timeframe to achieve budgeted fundraising goals.
• Implement comprehensive donor fundraising strategies, both renewal and upgrade, with focus on contributions of $1,000 – $5,000. (Annual Fund Manager will focus on donations up to $1,000 and President & CEO will focus on individual donations $5,000 and above.)
• Collaborate with President & CEO to ensure major gift cultivation and solicitation plans are implemented for donors of $5,000 and above.
• Strengthen corporate engagement and sponsorships, in collaboration with other members of the Leadership Team, in support of the Botanical Garden.
• Oversee contracted grant manager to ensure general operating- and capacity-building grants are written, submitted, and evaluated per funders’ guidelines.
• Ensure success of fundraising events in collaboration with Annual Fund Manager and/or other team members.
• Oversee and guide robust membership program, ensuring annual membership goals are met.
• Investigate and initiate program partnerships and strategic alliances that will increase avenues of support and extend the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden’s brand in the community.
• Work closely with program staff in order to enhance awareness of programmatic needs for funding, ensure accurate reporting, and comply with donor expectations.
• Ensure sound database management, including gift recording and acknowledgment, tracking, and reporting.
• Oversee and assess data-supported fundraising reports and dashboards and overall fund development efforts.
• In collaboration with President & CEO and other Leadership Team members, develop and monitor annual budget for development department with realistic, data-supported revenue and expense projections.
• Develop personal community presence to support Botanical Garden awareness among civic organizations, corporate, foundation and business leaders.
• Participate actively as a member of the Botanical Garden’s Leadership Team.
• Complete other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree is required, or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in non-profit development, with a proven track record.
• Experience in or a passion for public gardens, museums, or cultural attractions is preferred.
• Proven ability to manage, coach, and motivate staff and volunteers.
• Donor database management experience is preferred.
• Bi-lingual or multi-lingual desirable.
Skills and Abilities
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to build budgets and develop financial projections.
• Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with conflict.
• Ability to follow direction, build strategy, and find resources.
Characteristics and Qualities for Success
• Passionate commitment to and able to convey the Botanical Garden’s mission.
• Bright, kind, and motivated by challenges.
• Experience setting vision, direction, and priorities for a team.
• Proven track record inspiring and influencing stakeholders through authentic and meaningful connections.
• Self-motivated individual who has led cross-functional projects.
• Consistently leverage qualitative and quantitative data to inform decision making.
• Results-oriented, detail and deadline focused, creative, resourceful, and flexible.
• Strengths-based approach, bringing the best out of every team member.
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired.